Premarital agreements (also called prenuptial agreements or "prenups") are a common legal step taken before marriage. A prenup establishes the property and financial rights of each spouse in the event of a divorce. So while no is thinking about a divorce when they before they get married, about 1/2 of all marriages in America end up in divorce proceedings. So it is often prudent to at least consider a prenuptial agreement. Prenups often are used to protect the assets of wealthy spouses but also can protect family businesses and serve other important functions. Learn about your state's legal requirements for a prenuptial agreement and whether it is right for you.
- The Basics of Prenuptial Agreements
Deciding whether to sign a prenuptial agreement can be one of the most difficult decisions engaged people face. This article has important things to consider when deciding whether a prenup is right for you.
- Is a Prenup Right for You?
Prenuptial agreements aren't useful for every couple. Read about when and how a prenuptial agreement can help you by clearly defining property rights before you enter into marriage.
- Pros and Cons: Prenuptial Agreements
This handy pros and cons list will help guide your thinking as you decide whether to put a premarital, or prenuptial agreement, in place before getting married.
- What Can and Cannot Be Included in a Prenup
A prenuptial agreement won't solve every problem you may have with your spouse. Learn about what a premarital agreement can and cannot do to protect you and your spouse's interests.
- Sample Premarital Agreement
Curious about what a prenuptial agreement even says? Take a look at this sample premarital agreement to get an idea of the types of terms prenups often contain.
- 10 Reasons a Premarital Agreement May be Invalid
A prenuptial agreement won't help if it's invalid. This list of common errors will help you make sure your prenuptial agreement has its i’s dotted and t’s crossed.
- Can Prenuptial Agreements Help You?
- How to Determine if a Prenuptial Agreement is Right for You
- Pros and Cons: Premarital Agreements ("Prenuptials")
- State-by-State Marriage "Age of Consent" Laws
- Top 10 Reasons a Premarital Agreement May be Invalid
- What Can and Cannot be Included in Prenuptial Agreements