Same Sex Marriage
State and federal law concerning same-sex marriage, or gay marriage, has a relatively brief history, beginning with the first lawsuit seeking legal recognition of a same-sex union in 1971. While federal law defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman, for purposes of taxes and other federal matters, marriage is primarily governed by state law. This section covers the history of gay marriage; the federal Defense of Marriage Act; various state laws, constitutional amendments, and court decisions that authorize or prohibit same-sex marriage; how gay marriage compares to civil unions; and more.
- Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, and Domestic Parnerships
Read about the different domestic arrangements available to same-sex couples. Each has its own legal consequences and could have a deep impact on your life for years to come.
- Same-Sex Marriage Pros and Cons
This article explains how entering into marriage can help or hurt your chances of adopting and raising children, your tax status, or your ability to own and retain property in your name.
- A Historical Introduction
What are the arguments in the same-sex marriage debate, and how did we get to where we are today? This article will give you the background information you need to follow today's news
- The Defense of Marriage Act
Learn about the legal forces working in opposition to marriage equality, including the Defense of Marriage Act, or DOMA, which has been in place since 1996.
- States That Allow Same-Sex Marriage
The list of states that allow same sex marriage is slowly expanding. Find out which states allow same sex couples to marry, and which do not, by reading this article.
- Recent Developments
Laws about same-sex marriage keep changing. Here's the play-by-play history of which states started allowing same sex marriage, including the important votes, court decisions, and ballot initiatives.
- 1993: The Hawaii Case of Baehr v. Lewin
- 2003-2004: Gay Marriage in Massachusetts and San Francisco
- Developments in Same-Sex Marriage Law
- Same Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, and Domestic Partnerships
- Same-Sex Marriage Legal Pros and Cons
- Same-Sex Marriage: A Historical Introduction
- States That Allow Same-Sex Marriage NEW!
- The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and the Call for a Constitutional Amendment