Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Search for legal issues
For help near (city, ZIP code or county)
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location

Child Support Enforcement

There are legal steps you can take if a parent who is obligated to pay child support under the terms of a court or government agency order stops making payments. Under the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, district attorneys (D.A.s) or state's attorneys must help a parent collect child support. Federal laws allow the interception of tax refunds to enforce child support orders. Other methods of enforcement include wage attachments, seizing property or -- in some states -- revoking the paying parent's driver's license. The following resources cover the enforcement of child support orders, how to get your spouse to make court-ordered payments, wage garnishment and other topics pertaining to unpaid child support.

Learn About Child Support Enforcement

Find a Lawyer

More Options