Marriage is a legally binding contract between two individuals who agree to take care of one another financially and otherwise. As such, there are certain requirements for marriage that differ from state to state. The following articles discuss these requirements, the basics of getting a marriage license, age of consent laws and other matters of marriage law.
- Marriage and the Law: Background - Brief overview of the evolution of marriage laws, including changes at the state level allowing same-sex unions.
- Marriage FAQs - Answers to commonly asked questions pertaining to personal property, common law marriage and other marriage law matters.
- State Marriage License and Blood Test Requirements - Overview of state marriage license requirements, including blood tests and waiting periods.
- Links to State-Specific Marriage License Information - Links to state government documents and forms pertaining to marriage licenses.
- Marriage Requirements Basics: Consent, Age and Capacity - Basics of the legal requirements for marriage, the specifics of which vary by state.
- State-by-State "Age of Consent" Marriage Laws - Summaries of the age of consent, both with and without parental consent, in each state.
- Legal Requirements for Marriage FAQs - Answers to commonly asked questions about marriage licenses, gay marriage and other marriage law topics.